Sunday, July 28, 2013

Rainbow Tote {A Rainbow-Tastic Finish}

I finished my rainbow-tastic tote this weekend. I used the Garfunkel paper pieced block from the blockrockn series over at 627handworks and modified the market shopping bag pattern from Leanne at She Can Quilt.

The fabrics are a combination of saturated prints from my stash to make the hexagons and the back has some simply color Ikat diamonds prints. I paired it all with Essex yarn dyed linen in black. This is my first time working with the linen and I am a total convert now. It is easy to work with and adds such depth to the bag!

Just a little 8 x 8" block from some mini charm squares of simply color.


I couldn't decide on a thread color for quilting so I used them all! Here are a few close-ups of the 
quilting:



I quilted in straight lines with one color for 4-6 lines and then switched it out for the next color. I kept the bobbin the same white thread so I wouldn't have to change it constantly. The inside of the bag is one of my favorite prints from the birds and the bees:




I modified the finishing steps of the bag. Instead of making bias tape for the top, I folded the top over twice and top-stitched it down. For the handles, I used some heavy canvas and attached them to the outside of the bag. I basically made little pockets for the handle ends out of the linen and stitched it to the outside of the bag.


I love, love, love this bag. I was going to use it occasionally for looking fab at the library or farmers market, but it may have to accompany me on more mundane tasks as well. 


I'm linking up with Plum and June Let's get acquainted. If you found my blog through the link-up I would love to hear from you so I can check out your blog too!

11 comments:

  1. I came from the linky on Plum and June.
    I love your bag. The color combination is awesome and the hexies are cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am visiting from Plum and June's linky party. I love your bag. Always nice to virtually meet another dog lover and quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the little handle pockets are a great design mod/feature! Very sweet fussy-cuts on the front, too. Thank you for linking to the bag pattern...another project to add to the list that never gets shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am stopping by from the Plum and June linkup. Your bag is just adorable. I love the fabrics you chose. I may have to make one of those to travel with me to the market as well! You did a great job and like the color you changes you did for the quilting. How unique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bag! The multi-colored quilting adds a really nice, unique touch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love your bag! The linen looks great with those bright hexies and I really like the quilting!
    Visiting from Plum and June and I am already a follower.
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to say something nice. I really do. But mostly I feel sick with jealousy.
    You have created a little bag of perfection.
    Use it in good health :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks awesome!! Love the way you've used the Garfunkel block and great job with he alternating colours in the quilting, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should heretofore make everything out of that Iinen. It looks super profesh. And it's crazy how that rainbow quilting bonanza is almost subtle!

    (Pomegranate Quilts = funny)

    Sorry I sullied your blog with the word profesh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this tote! It is beyond perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeee! Love this. Such a nice job!

    I'm a recent linen addict myself. Just finished up a kaleidoscope quilt using the black essex and it does add depth. The texture is cool too.

    ReplyDelete