Thursday, June 20, 2013

An old fashioned quilting bee (of sorts)

When my friend, Christine approached Kim and I to make a quilt for a wedding that was in two weeks we jumped to the challenge. The two of us helped C pick out the colors. We managed a red and green quilt that doesn't look Christmas-y. I love the gray we picked up at Hobby Lobby. It has such a beautiful sheen and feel. I am pleasantly surprised with the fabrics they have at that store.

hi toes!

C liked the shoefly block quilt from a recent post by Obsessive Crafting Disorder. This is the perfect layout for a first time quilt. Only HST's and squares. C was the pressing master. She was either the ironing goddess or our ironing bitch depending on your perspective. Kim and I did most of the sewing. It was so fast having the three of us work on it at the same time. The whole thing from picking out the design, to fabric shopping to binding was about 8 hours in two sessions. And I think it took us about 2 hours just to figure out the layout once we had the blocks.

I quilted it with my latest go-to quilting design - figure 8's. I think I banged out the quilting in about 45 minutes. That in combination with 30 day shred really worked my shoulders...

Her is the back. Again another print from Hobby Lobby. It is gray white and red and not too girly. We used a bunch of 10" squares down the middle flanked with more of the gray solid from the front. The binding is scrappy and green and happy.


C washed it before taking it to the wedding and I don't have the picture but I assure you it is the perfect state of crinkletude. We will be doing another old fashioned group quilting soon. I have a feeling C will want a quilt of her own. Operation bring more people to the dark side nearly complete.

Happy Friday Happy Weekend Happy Happy. Linking up with TGIFF.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, even with three people working on it, that was fast! Looks great, and I'm sure the happy couple was very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun! Where can I find one of these ironing bitches?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Bring people to the dark side! Great color choices--just the right greens, just the right grey. Real-person-quilt-interaction is still so important--old school bee quilts are a great reason why!! Good job ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boom, masterpiece. I will be incorporating crinkletude into my daily lexicon. (TM Marla, Sew Hungry Inc.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Marla, you're going to have to create a Dictionary Tab on your blog.
    It is a lovely quilt - but the sisterhood behind it is even lovelier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a gorgeous finish and it sounds like you all had fun making it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a wonderful quilt, the colours are great! What a lovely way to spend time together, making a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's perfect, what a lucky couple! That is what you call speed quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to spend time with your friends! And you have a beautiful quilt to show for it. Lucky couple!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading this post! I've been trying to organize a few of these myself to hook a couple potential new quilters :) thanks for sharing, I hope you share C's next quilt too

    Kelsey
    everydayfray.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your quilt and the pattern. Such a great choice of colors.
    BTW how large is your shoofly block?

    ReplyDelete