Thursday, May 23, 2013

TGIFF - I Spy a Polaroid Quilt

Hello readers, old and new! My name is Marla and I am excited to host TGIFF this Friday and also VERY thankful for Friday and the upcoming three day weekend (here in the US at least!). If you are new to my blog I encourage you to take a look around. You can find all my finished quilts in the tab above. 
This week I finished up a quilt that my very talented friend Kim started. Kim blogs over at Crafternoon delight but she is currently trying to finish her PhD thesis and asked me to finish a baby quilt project for her. She designed the quilt and pieced the top and the back. I quilted it and added the binding. 
Final size is 36" square


This quilt is brimming with adorableness. Kim fussy cut lots of great novelty prints and turned them into Polaroid blocks. Each one was set at a wonky angle in the navy blue background fabric. The navy frames the polaroids so perfectly.
Then I quilted it with some free motion figure 8 loops using a light blue Aurifil thread. Anyone who is a regular reader of my blog will not be surprised by the addition of DNA fabric to this quilt. This kid is going to be so nerdy smart.
Kim is so thoughtful that she even added a great picture of the parents (printed on fabric) as one of the blocks. That way the kid will remember what they looked like when they were childless and not tired all the time.
Kim requested my machine stitched blanket stitch binding. This is a great way to really tack down the binding on a quilt that is going to get a lot of love.


The back is equally fun with lots of solid blue/greens and some sea turtle action. I love the way the quilting shows up on the back.


Now it's your turn! Link up your Friday finish. Please link back to TGIFF or add the TGIFF button to your post. Please visit a few other links and leave a comment or two! Time to party like its 1999.


21 comments:

  1. Go team Karla! Great finish.

    P.S. frog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that quilt is fantastic! so fun! They really do look like Polaroid pictures. :)

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant quilt and fun loopy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt, I especially like the photo of the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, that's an awesome idea for a baby quilt. I love the photo of the parents too! Thanks for hosting TGIFF!, Marla!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt, the parents' photo block is a brilliant idea. What did you use to print it out on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fabric in the Polaroids!!! What a great idea. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to add the photo of the parents as a Polaroid and to have it kind of themed. I've still got a stack from the swap waiting to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable quilt, and the quilting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice pattern and quilting as well! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun quilt. The "real" picture adds something a little extra and special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have wanted to make one of these quilts for ages. It is such a fun and fabulous pattern. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is a beautiful cooperation. How awesome to add a pic of the parents! Genius. Lovely quilting, too. Well well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, this is the cutest quilt

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is fab! Congrats on the finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! So fun to look at and I'll bet it was fun to make too

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love Polaroid quilts! I'm saving some I spy prints at the moment... Lovely job on the quilting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see Swimmy in the corner!!!! Thank you again so much for quilting and binding this for me. I will say it over and over - YOU ARE AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck. http://myspyapp.com/sms/

    ReplyDelete