Saturday, February 9, 2013

Star Gazing: A finished baby quilt

A Lovely Year of Finishes

February goal finished way ahead of schedule! See my progress here and here.


Star Gazing

Star Gazing stats:
30" square with rounded edges
Fabrics include Matsuri lawn cotton, Washi and another low volume print of unknown origin
Machine pieced, quilted and bound with Aurifil 50wt white thread.
Going to some friends who are expecting a little girl next month.

I noticed from the expecting mom's pinterest that she was drawn to soft pastel colors and grays for the nursery. I chose to use some heavy weight fabrics for the back so that it would be a durable play mat/ stroller quilt. They still washed up nice and soft.
Star Gazing
It is difficult to see in the bright morning light but the center fabric is flanked by a purple print and then a white with purple print. To bring back the puple color at the edges I chose a light purple print for the binding. 

There is no purple on the front of the quilt but it still plays well together with the prints on both sides.

Star Gazing

Oh and here is my piecing mistake. It is very subtle. Do you see it now?
The lower left block should be rotated 90 degrees. I don't think anyone else will notice. It will be our little secret.  

The clamshell quilting (tutorial by Don't call me Betsy) gives this blanket a bubble wrap feel which I love.
Star Gazing

Now I have more than two weeks to figure out what my March goal should be...

9 comments:

  1. this is gorgeous! I love those rounded corners! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are AHEAD of the game. What a pretty little quilt! I also love the rounded corners, especially for a baby quilt. They're so soft and charming. I felt like a goof for not being able to see your mistake, so I would not sweat it for a second if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoohooo! What a lovely finish! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rounded corners are awesome! The whole thing is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely little quilt! I've been thinking about doing some rounded corners--they give the quilt a softer look I think. And unless you point it out to them, no one will notice your little block goof. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty quilt. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I really like it since i commented twice :) well three times now!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I love the rounded edges and the fun colors!

    ReplyDelete