Thursday, September 6, 2012

Spinning Stars

Katy over at I'm a ginger monkey is starting a quilt along for Anna Marie Horner's Spinning Stars quilt pattern, which can be found here. And here is the flickr group if you want to join in on the fun or just watch from the sidelines.

spinning stars - let's do a quilt along!
Spinning Stars quilt by: Anna Marie Horner
The pattern is great but I despise cutting out fabric with templates. I designed a foundation paper piecing template instead. The original pattern makes an 18" block. Mine will make a smaller 15.5" block (you can't fit a foundation paper piecing template for the larger block on 8.5 x 11" printer paper).

Here is my template:
Spinning stars paper piecing template
You need to print out 4 copies for one completed block.

Here is a good tutorial for foundation paper piecing if you are new to it. I also talk about it here in my honeycomb block tutorial.
Verykerybery has also come up with a template that will make a 12 inch completed block. It contains instructions for how to enlarge it to make the full sized block.

I gave it a test run with some fugly fabric from my stash:

You know the template is good when it makes even icky fabrics look somewhat OK

 Here is what the back should look like. I removed the paper on the seam and will remove the rest of the paper once I finish a completed block.

Now to try it out with the fabrics I intended for the quilt. Warning: some fabric selections subject to change in the final product ;)


Happy piecing!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this is SO much more appealing than the template version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart smart. I've never done any foundation piecing, so I feel a little more comfortable with template cutting even if it is a pain. You're right, even the uggo fabrics look lovely in this block! That Anna Maria.

    ReplyDelete